Peter Meter

New post in the works, in the process of reworking this thing.
Petro

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Goodbye Sanity, not that it was ever that good to me!

Well hello there,
Well some decisions have been made and seems for now we have some sort of purpose to this journey! As of now the plan is to head down South in the Patagonia region to work on an equestrian ranch. There might be some confussion when reading this statement as in my last post I said that we were going there already. However, we got side tracked and decided to go to the town of Quequen, a small beach town on the East coast of Argentina as we had no reason not to. While here we got word via email from a dude that we have been corresponding with about working on his ranch and after careful consideration he gave us the go ahead to come on down. That being said, the truly confusing part is that we are paying him to work on the ranch. Just as I was settling into unemployment I went right back to it, sans the gainful part. Once down there we will work along side the native indians building fences and cabins on the ranch. The very minimal fee that we will pay does include our room and board, but the idea behind this is the total immersion experience that will hopefully give me the ability to speak the language better. I am sure the experience will be great as we will be moving around on horse through the mountainside and have the weekends to enjoy the ranch and all of its amenities. My only hope is that the boys down there have the same work ethic as the Kansas City Water Department does. I know of at least two people (My old man and my Tio Juan) who are questioning my sanity at this moment but let me assure you that it is as in check as it ever will be. Give it till about week two of this experience before it is totally gone.
Big thanks and hello to all those who have contributed to the post comments that is the thing I like best about this blog site. Sorry that I don´t post more often but would anyone really want to hear from me daily excluding my mother? For the next month as I will be predominately camping in the mountainside it will be difficult for me to have any contact with the outside world so I will say goodbye until then. Also, if anyone could figure a way to send vaccumed packed Peanut wings and ranch dressing that would definietly insure them a way cool souviner from me. I´m thinking a really neat rock from the mountains would do the trick. (I know my boy Da Mask ears just popped up, don´t worry I´m taking care of it!) Goodbye for now and don´t forget to take care of your bad self.

Most Fondly,
Petro

14 comments:

Bridget said...

Hey kiddo!

Be safe and leave those wild dogs alone. Hope to meet up w/ you soon!

Kittens and meow meow's,
Bridget L. Campbell

Jake S said...

UUUUUMMMMMM paying to work, now i know the heat is getting to you. You better get back to the states before it becomes permanent.

Unknown said...

Wadda's somone gotta do to get prop's in your blog? Can I get a shout out in your next entry? How much do you have to pay for that?

Chuck

Also, i think we are a lock for being the beneficiaries for ali's life insurance policy....see you in the Bahama's!

The World According to Zeke said...

Petropopolis,
Dad said I could pay to work for him too! He said that if I really, really, really wanted to immerse myself in the culture of SDR that I too could work their for a minimal fee and every weekend I would have full use and range of the entire shop down below! I had to make sure that I was there by 5:00 on Friday and had enough food for the weekend (or brought enough exact change for the card board box that serves as the vending machine) and a sleeping bag. I know that this is the right choice and could only make me a better business man in the end and maybe even someday I to will be able to work on a ranch in a third world country with indengenious folk. Keeping clearing the way for all of us Americans and viva la revolution.

Mark Paul said...

Petro,
Now, I realize your sanity is in question; but, please be extra careful of Q. Firsthand, I have seen the quality of his declines, once or twice.(Might be related to his night terrors - but do not blame me, his issues are deep rooted, oh janey)
Take note yourself, first the hair will go - nothing crazy, just a completely different shape, slightly off center. Next, the speed at which you move slows, followed by lethargic speech and a complete disrespect for hygiene. And finally, your eyes glaze over. The bonus is that at least you'll be happy even if you don't realize.
paz, marcos

Mandi said...

Cowboy Petro!
Never thought of you as a John Wayne type but congrats to you and good luck on your new adventure! To think we could have expected payment from you for our house remodel!?! what an idea. You owe us when you get back.
The kids send their smiles and hugs.
Mikes says cut your hair and shave already, you are representing the USA!
Love the stories and pics (make sure they stay G-rated).
The Sonnenbergs

Unknown said...

hey petro!
it's been such fun reading your blog. or should i say, such fun for the teacher in me, attempting to decipher your fantastic spelling and grammar. if you feel it necessary, you could forward blog entries on to me and i could spell/grammar check and get them back to you in time for posting. let me know your thoughts. i miss you, and your london gentleman....

Andy said...

Petro,
I hope you show that ranch everything you learned at Tiehen Lawn...stay away from expensive farm equipment and don't talk to any clients that may visit.
My prediction: the owner signs the title over to you in the next two weeks. I want 50/50 on that deal.
Please post some pics of the current hairdo.
Into the wild...

Jeff said...

I have to say that paying to do manual labor may be the craziest thing i have ever heard. Maybe you can have this slave driver pay you money (for work) and then you can pay it right back to him for room and board (plus a little extra I guess). That way you will at least get some satisfaction with the sure-to-be huge pay check every week.

Please don't go out of your way to keep these post G-rated (sorry, Mandi??).

Jeff

ps: after some careful thought, i have decided that me paying for law school is definitely crazier than paying to do labor

Stitches said...

I'm just glad you're finding yourself. Even if you have to pay to help build a fence. Can you really put a value on finding the meaning of life? Yes you can - it's priceless.

Your hero,

Stitchenstein

Mom S said...

hey Petro...If this works I will be so happy I am having a heck of a time posting a comment. lets see if thsi works.
momma

Mom S said...

ugh

Unknown said...

Grandma Jeen says:

Pete...hope you know how to ride ....at the ranch do the horses understand english or spanish?...All very intersting !!!! Lots of love, G-ma
P.S. Do you have to pay the horses also ?

Aunt Vic said...

Petey! You make me laugh!!!! I am hoping this posting finally works...Juan has tried and gave up. Em wants in on the horses and she will pay YOU for room and board as well as work for free (you could break even on this deal!)....Jack, well that's another story. Can't wait to hear of your next run ins!!!